Mission Trip Dates

June 29-July 14, 2012

Friday, July 6, 2012

Dzien Dobry!

Today I awoke to a beautiful sunny morning. The hillside all around my room is stunning. Dotted with houses, farms, I can even see a church steeple. I washed out my two pair of shorts I brought and a few shirts in the sink...fun, fun!
I put them on the clothesline on the tiny balcony. They were still pretty wet. After a few hours we heard thunder in the distance. I ran back up the steep hill to take down the laundry. Guess what? They were dry! It has been so hot I guess it doesn't take long. I ran back down the stairs and started down the road. Boom! Thunder....and then wham....a drenching rain. I got back to the activity building soaked. Not fun.... 20 minutes later...out came the sun, followed by the heat. It took
me awhile though to dry out. I guess I should bring an extra set of clothing to the activity center.

Our classes started out in the morning with saying the Our Father prayer, we even included sign language. The children caught on quickly. We then discussed what feelings we have. Happy, sad, excited, embarrassed, silly, worried and soon. The children then had to use any feeling word and write a sentence on some cute paper. Three sentences later they were finished and now are hanging in our classroom so we have something when the parents come for a visit on Sunday.
Kathy and Daniel Abraham presented their unit on Japan. The children experienced making origami cranes from the story Kathy told called Sadako and the Thousand Cranes. Daniel brought  yen from Japan for the children to see. He also taught them how to say hello,  goodbye and how to count in Japanese. We divided the children into two groups so it wasn't as chaotic as yesterday. It still seemed to be too large of a group for the children to really learn.

At craft time, we painted 'stained glass windows', played games, and some of the girls made decorations for their hair with ribbons.

After what the Polish people call supper, (which is very light, typically sandwiches) the kids went outside to play relay games. Cookies had to be passed from one to the other on a straw in a persons mouth. No hands allowed! Also, how many people can you fit into a square marked with chalk. Imagine how hot it is and all the sweaty bodies piled on top of each other. Pretty ripe!

We worshiped together with songs. More hot bodies stuffed into a room. But the excitement was contagious and even some of the shy children were able to tell us using their English what the words of the song meant. Sharing the power of God is the same in any language.

Blessings!
Judy

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for blogging! I feel that I can be a part of your adventures! God will bless you abundantly for all you are doing for the children.

    ReplyDelete